We have been implementing changes since the start of the pandemic to ensure the safety of all of our employees.
To ensure we can still provide key workers in a safe and effective way we have completed risk assessments at our sites, offices, and locations.
One of our client’s distribution centres in Dordon operates the picking, packing, and processing of groceries for online customer orders.
Since the TUPE of our contract in Dordon in August 2018, we had continued with the traditional recruitment model that was already in situ: after screening, candidates would be brought to the site to complete a paper registration pack, have a one to one interview with one of the team and then, lastly, a site tour of the areas where they would potentially work. Due to the COVID-19 measures/restrictions, our client was forced to swiftly re-evaluate this process.
COVID-19 Secure working:
Working together with our client we enforced the following to mitigate risk, whilst still enabling us to continue to run a successful operation:
No Visitors: all external visitors and potential candidates are prohibited from attending the site
Communication: employees are communicated with via telephone, text, or email
Visual Reminders: displaying posters and information briefs on all notice boards
Temperature Checks: everyone who enters the site is temperature-checked
Antibody Tests: Our client was one of the first to introduce antibody tests (colleague optional) onsite ensuring extra safety checks in the fight against COVID-19
Antibody Tests: Our client was one of the first companies to introduce antibody tests (colleague optional)
Social Distancing: ensuring that anyone in the office maintains 2m social distancing.
Handling Documents: where this is necessary, i.e. when having to handle ID, handwashing and sanitising is administered immediately after copies are taken and before the handling of Digital Documentation. All other forms are now submitted via email or text
Personal Office Equipment: stationery is no longer shared between employees
Sanitising Stations: more antibacterial dispensers placed throughout the whole building
Break Areas: Site restaurant and break-out areas have been separated to maintain 2m distancing
Thorough and Frequent Cleaning: a more vigorous cleaning regime has been introduced, to now include door handles, tables, seating, and hard surfaces, to minimise contamination.
With no longer being able to bring candidates to the site for registration we have quickly adapted our recruitment processes to accommodate registrations, and most importantly, continue to ensure the supply of a temporary workforce for our client.
- Candidates continue to apply for vacant roles through multiple advertising platforms
- Candidates go through a robust pre-screening process of qualifying questions either over the phone or via a chatbot
- If we believe they are suitable for the role, candidates are then emailed a detailed presentation that includes:
- Job criteria
- A short video of the warehouse and different roles within it
- Background on Siamo Group
- Background on our client
- Explanation of each work area with shift times and duties
- Pay rates
- Benefits, rewards, and discounts
- Career development information
- Dress code
- Link for a digital registration pack
- Once candidates have completed the digital registration pack the Siamo office team check and countersign the pack
- Candidates are then asked to attend a one to one video interview via Office Teams, Skype, Facetime, or WhatsApp video call. Those who decline are sent another online survey link which includes interview questions. These slots are booked
- Candidates are then required to send a photo of their eligibility to work and National Insurance to a secure email address
- Once all parts are completed and checked the onsite team give candidates a call to explain when the next available slots for their chosen roles are, and to also check English levels and answer any questions
- Once a candidate is booked for induction, we will send them a text message confirming the details
- The weekend before they are due to start, we send a text for the candidate to confirm their attendance for training and to remind them to supply their original eligibility documents and NI proof upon arrival.
- Siamo runs a session an hour prior to induction slots to manage further screening of all individuals. This is the final part of the selection process, ensuring all candidates have the right levels of English, the experience and skills required to proceed to the induction stage.
Due to the new digital screening process, we are now able to process a higher volume of candidates than ever before. We have actually been able to supply our client with extra candidates during this challenging time. This, in turn, has meant our headcount onsite has increased to a level that has matched the increased orders and volumes that our client has seen from their existing and new customer base – numbers that had not been predicted pre-pandemic.